Well this isn’t the post I’d planned! I’d started on a new addition to my fledgling series of watercolour paintings of boats at Hastings. Everything seemed to be progressing fine, albeit a little slowly, but I had no idea what lay in store!
Here’s the story so far…
What happened next was excruciatingly annoying!
I started in the hull of the boat and was building up the tone, but losing track of how ‘wet’ I was working. My intention was to bring the darkness at the bottom of hull into the shadows across the beach.
Things started to get a little bit out of hand and certainly weren’t going to plan. I picked up the board and was tilting it back and forth to try to get things to move around a little. While I was looking in one direction, I missed the paint that was building up at the rear of the boat until it eventually ran! In the picture below, you can see the stain it left.
I was so annoyed! This image was taken after I’d flooding the whole sheet sheet with water, which removed most of the wash that I’d just put down. In doing this, it also added a slight darker glaze over the sky. At this point, I still thought the painting was ruined so left it alone for a while.
When I came back to it, I decided that I had nothing to lose – even if I really went to town on it.
After yet another glaze over the sky, I decided that my time and patience was up on this one. It’s one of the few paintings that I’ve done that actually looks better in real life than when it’s illuminated by the back-light of a screen. From a distance, this does still read okay. The boat has a certain ‘glow’ to it and I think the painting is quite evocative.
I do still like the composition of this scene so may return to it again. In the meantime, I take some small satisfaction from having salvaged something from what I thought was beyond being rescued!